Well this is the site, looking from the west. the conservatory will face north west. It might not seem the logical choice, but the idea is to take advantage of the evening sun. Significant work started in late 05
First  we had the house painted so that I wouldn't have to climb about on top of the structure every other year. Removed the kennel (actually a device to hide a dog flap) and jumped through a few hoops for the planning people. Then there we waited for the better part of a year to get planning (and building control) consent
Welcome to the Jim and Fiona Hewlett Owl powered Web Pages
Once consented, about December '05 some brick pillars to hold it all up. They'll probably get  slate skirts to keep the weather off them
A timber frame for the floor. Note the use of 6x3 inch timbers. If you can't use 6 inch nails to hold it together, your wood's too thin. Farming tradition.
Cut in some lead flashing and a wall plate for the upper edge of the roof. One door will open from the living room (just to the left of the stepladder), the other from the hall (between the windows)
The beginnings of the low wall for holding up the windows, some roof timber, and a door that was standing around doing nothing. I've been using fairly heavy timber for a solid feel and to compensate for my approximate carpentry but it will need a bit more bracing to get that sense of permanence
Conservatory 2. The Sequel 
Some roof timbers and a bit of polycarbonate. Starting to look a bit more deliberate, and less like the aftermath of a hurricane. The whole structure is fixed in space by the size of the (recycled) door in the corner, it determines where the roof stops.
Seen from the other end and waiting for some windows. The door into the living room will be where the power cable comes out of the wall
Some glass is in and a fabric skirt which makes it look more solid, though that's just a breathable membrane which will hold the insulation in place. building Control have said that the pillars will have to come out as the mortar gaps are less than 10mm. I'll do that when I've got the topside weather proof, It's easy enough to jack it up on a trolley-jack
While I was at the glazier, I noticed some windows and doors at the side which, by the dust, had been standing for a while. They proved to be mis-manuactured units (wrong dimensions, doors with hinges on the wrong side etc) so I bought these patio doors and a door to go into the Living room for not a lot. I avoid PVC as much as possible, apart from being a bit messy on the environmental front it blocks out too much light. However, these were already made, so......
The odd little one to the side will be replaced later, but will keep the weather out in the meantime. 
Most of the floor is in but not fixed down as it will have to come out to level, weed proof, and cover the ground below.
Nearing completion, 31/03/08, some decking going onto the far end. (re-cycled plastic and wood dust)
A start to the steps at the near end. New breeze (or breese?) block support columns replacing the brick.
The ground underneath is weedproofed, and the floor back in, with carpeting and insulation.
New wood panels on the North West side, old ones on the South West.
Plasterboard on the inside, Cementboard underneath. Cats dozing inside. They'll have to move out for the door to be cut into the living room.

Cutting the door hole was a bit of a task, but well worth while, the amount of dust you get from a disc saw is amazing, and it was inside, so visibility after a few seconds is down to a foot.
A good minimum if you don't want to cut your own foot off.

The wall was three bricks thick and solid, no air gap at all.

I left the plasterboard on the living room side up till last, to keep the dust out, that worked well, but the rest was a messy business, even with dust sheets.

Now the main structure is just about done, I'll need to get the building warrant adjusted for the decking at the end, and a bit of decorating here and there.

   07/08/09, and that's about it, apart from the endless tidy-up, a bit of slabbing and an eventual replacement of the scruffier fence panels. It's taken much longer than it should, but I kept adding bits, for example, when I added the sliding doors that made the end wall an exit. This in turn meant it needed steps and a platform. So, in its turn, the decking was required. I'm happier using natural or recycled materials and was glad to get boards made of recycled plastic bags and waste wood dust. 
  Getting the professionals in might have made it look tidier, but I was able to knock £20,000 off the bill and it doesn't leak.

Now what's next.......
email me